Users of the facilities

A place to discuss the idea in general
Matrix

Users of the facilities

Postby Matrix » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Interesting thought after hearing so much comment against people from outside Cherhill using the hall. Without outsiders coming to the village, the school would struggle with numbers, the pub and cafe would suffer and many groups which use the hall would not thrive, and of course, events like the pantomime, Christmas Fair, coffee mornings, WI's Big Breakfast etc would all lose out on the extra income that these 'outsiders' bring.

Simont

Re: Users of the facilities

Postby Simont » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:04 am

I think we may need to make a distinction between people who privately hire the hall for parties or events and people who come to open, organised groups such as keep fit classes, WI, etc.

I have not made up my mind yet about private hire. I think there is an argument for restricting that to some degree to people from the village. For example the current village hall has policies that restrict its use for certain types of party. We do not hire to non residents for 18th birthday parties for example. We do have to remember though that every booking of the hall contributes to its upkeep and maintenance and keeps the costs down for the rest of us.

However I am absolutely clear that few of the organised groups would exist without people coming in from surrounding areas to the great detriment of those of us that live here and benefit from the use of the groups.

Liz

Re: Users of the facilities

Postby Liz » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:15 pm

I hire the hall three times a week for yoga classes and agree with the above comments that without 'outsiders' attending, sometimes these classes would not have run. These people are coming to Cherhill for a reason, whether it is to join an activity with their friends who live here, because the day / time suits them or because the activity is not available where they live. I also know some people who come to my classes would not go to one elsewhere as they like to be with people they know. They would much rather have people from Calne, Lower Compton, Winterbourne Monkton, and Compton Bassett come to the class as well than see it close. I am sure this is the same with other groups such as scouts, toddler group, and Wednesday Oldbury Club.

With regard to hiring the hall to people to who do not live in Cherhill, I think this needs some discussion and thought. How many young families have children who go to the dance classes in the hall each week? These are run by a lovely lady from Chippenham who is offering a service to our community, and I feel we should support her. When my daughter was small it would have made a huge difference to me if I could have walked her to a class at the hall, rather than driving into Calne.
I understand the concerns about bookings for parties or events in the evenings, but as Simont says, these are a valuable income which will go towards the upkeep of the hall, and also future improvements. Perhaps an idea would be to limit the number of times per month it can be hired in the evening at the weekend.

Return to “The Opportunity”