Posters

At the junction of the A4 and Park Lane. Discuss it here....
Simont

Posters

Postby Simont » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:36 am

I just want to put on record that I do not condone the removal of posters.

I know some have been torn down by Cherhill residents angry about how misleading the objector's posters are, making no mention of the Village Hall and because they are being located at the bottom of the paths leading up to the downs where they will eventually blow away and become more plastic rubbish to be picked up.

Personally I would also prefer posters in the village to be limited to advertising events and be purely factual - I hate it when the place gets littered with political campaigning posters as it no doubt soon will as if we've never heard of these parties or are going to be influenced by a brightly coloured sticker.

However, having said all that, I defend anyone's right to campaign for a cause they believe in.

leah11

Re: Posters

Postby leah11 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:12 am

When you all have sent out a circular advertising a Proposed New Village Hall and not telling where the site was, although you had already put a funding proposal together?

Simont

Postby Simont » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:24 am

The posters we put up were simply advertising an event in the village hall which is custom and practice in the village. How many times do you want me to apologise for not making clear the proposed site? That was a mistake. I am sorry. It was not intended to mislead. And we did try to visit those in Park Lane before hand to let them know although I accept we didn't talk to as many as we should for which we have also apologised.

And if the objectors accept their posters are misleading and wish to apologise for that I will accept that and not raise the matter again.

concerned resident

Postby concerned resident » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:30 pm

Simont wrote:The posters we put up were simply advertising an event in the village hall which is custom and practice in the village. How many times do you want me to apologise for not making clear the proposed site? That was a mistake. I am sorry. It was not intended to mislead. And we did try to visit those in Park Lane before hand to let them know although I accept we didn't talk to as many as we should for which we have also apologised.

And if the objectors accept their posters are misleading and wish to apologise for that I will accept that and not raise the matter again.

With respect Park Lane residents were visited at 8.30 on the evening before the questionnaires were going to be delivered by the postman do you honestly believe that this is the correct way of informing people that they may have a new complex built near to their narrow lane. I'm very sorry this matter has been handled badly from the start and there is no excuse for that.

Since then there has been a lot of nit picking - you did this and you did that - let's agree to disagree we all have our own opinions on this subject so let's leave it at that shall we. Oh and by the way we are Mr & Mrs Welch of 1 Park Lane we do not need to hide behind an alias.

leah11

Postby leah11 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:25 pm

I am Shelagh Fryer at Tudor Cottage, 4 Park Lane. My property adjoins the land in question, all along the South side, and I was not approached by anyone. If I had not been informed by my neighbours, when would I have known? The questionnaire did not say where the land was. Very non-transparent goings on.

Simont

Postby Simont » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:45 pm

I don't think Simont is going to fox too many people - it wasn't meant to be an alias. I am Simon Tomlinson, the chair of the project committee as I'm sure you all know. I agree we should agree to disagree (excuse the tautology) before things get any more unpleasant. I only have two objectives with this forum. One is to keep people informed of significant progress and the other is try and keep things focused on the facts and do my best to stay polite whilst doing it.

BHH

Postby BHH » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:30 pm

To ANYONE putting up posters on lamppost, telegraph poles etc you may like to be aware of the law:

Fly Posting

Fly-posting is displaying adverts and other promotional materials without permission, on buildings, posts, poles, litter bins and elsewhere in public. Fly-posting is done by businesses who want free advertising as well as community groups and other artistic or local community events.

Fly- posting without a permit is illegal under the Highway Act 1980, the Town & Country Planning Act 1990, the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005. It makes an area messy and untidy. Most local councils have a zero tolerance policy on fly- posting.

Legal measures to prevent fly-posting include:
On-the-spot fines of up to £80
Use of fixed penalty notices
Prosecution in a magistrates’ court
Use of Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs)
Charging the offender for the cost of removing the posters

Hope this is helpful

Simont

Postby Simont » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:53 am

That's interesting BHH. So how do political parties get away with sticker bombing everywhere as they will no doubt soon be doing? Do these laws not apply to them?

concerned resident

Postby concerned resident » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 am

Simont wrote:That's interesting BHH. So how do political parties get away with sticker bombing everywhere as they will no doubt soon be doing? Do these laws not apply to them?

After Barry Hargreaves/BHH comments on the Villagers site about illegal advertising we spoke to the Police who said it was not a criminal offence but to run it through the Council - which we did. The council were very helpful and emailed us a copy of their Advertising Regulations which has approximately 30 pages. If anyone would like a copy please let us know.

johncav

Postby johncav » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 am

The guide is HERE

Return to “The Site”