Is this a consultation?

johncav

Re: Is this a consultation?

Postby johncav » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Thank you, I see you replied to my message yesterday. This is all about the approaches to landowners by the Steering Group, attempting to discover whether alternative sites were available.

cherhillres said:
I understand that only recently landowners received a formal letter regarding land.

Simont replied
I'm not aware of any letters having been sent out to landowners relating to a possible new village hall. As John said all of our approaches have been in person. Does anyone have a copy of one of these letters?

and you (whitehorse) said
Yes I believe letters have been sent and I can provide a copy

i have asked you several times for a copy and you have now replied:
I have a copy of an email from a member of the Steering Group approaching a landowner in Cherhill. I am unable to provide a copy as the email isn't mine to disclose.

...so, in the absence of the subject letter, can I suggest we close this matter now?

whitehorse

Postby whitehorse » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:10 am

As I have said, I have a copy of an email from a member of the Steering Group to a landowner, but as some people don't want to be embroiled in these debates (I can't imagine why), I will not disclose it. You can choose to believe me, or not.

I think the point here is surely all landowners should have been formally approached with a letter clearly setting out in a business-like manner that the Steering Group are able to purchase land or provide a swop with the current hall premises. As it is, the email I have seen does not mention purchasing land and it seems that most approaches were done by word of mouth, which is not part of a transparent and clear process which has been documented. This whole chain of messages started from me trying to establish if such a formal business approach was taken, and by your belief that there is no written documentation, I assume that you have not.

You are now continuing to pursue planning a building on an inappropriate site and I don't believe you have shown due diligence in looking at other viable sites.
Last edited by whitehorse on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

whitehorse

Postby whitehorse » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:12 am

johncav wrote:Thank you, I see you replied to my message yesterday. This is all about the approaches to landowners by the Steering Group, attempting to discover whether alternative sites were available.

cherhillres said:
I understand that only recently landowners received a formal letter regarding land.

Simont replied
I'm not aware of any letters having been sent out to landowners relating to a possible new village hall. As John said all of our approaches have been in person. Does anyone have a copy of one of these letters?

and you (whitehorse) said
Yes I believe letters have been sent and I can provide a copy

i have asked you several times for a copy and you have now replied:
I have a copy of an email from a member of the Steering Group approaching a landowner in Cherhill. I am unable to provide a copy as the email isn't mine to disclose.

...so, in the absence of the subject letter, can I suggest we close this matter now?

As I have said, I have a copy of an email from a member of the Steering Group to a landowner, but as some people don't want to be embroiled in these debates (I can't imagine why), I will not disclose it. You can choose to believe me, or not.

I think the point here is surely all landowners should have been formally approached with a letter clearly setting out in a business-like manner that the Steering Group are able to purchase land or provide a swop with the current hall premises. As it is, the email I have seen does not mention purchasing land and it seems that most approaches were done by word of mouth, which is not part of a transparent and clear process which has been documented. This whole chain of messages started from me trying to establish if such a formal business approach was taken, and by your belief that there is no written documentation, I assume that you have not.

You are now continuing to pursue planning a building on an inappropriate site and I don't believe you have shown due diligence in looking at other viable sites.

whitehorse

Postby whitehorse » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Simont wrote: On the subject of housing development it is true that the Council are seeking approaches from developers and communities to identify strategic sites for development. If you have been following this you will know that a specific list of locations has been published where they would like to receive proposals. Cherhill is not on that list.

Having spoken to Wiltshire Council about this, there seems no certainty that Cherhill will not be expanded in the future, and building on the field will change it's status and potential.

Simont

Postby Simont » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 am

I’m not sure who you have been speaking to or what the question was but clearly there can never be certainty about any part of Cherhill or any where else for that matter being expanded in the future. What I can say with certainty though is that the status of what will become the rest of the field will not change if a village hall is built and the Wiltshire core strategy specifically prevents developers from building on sites like that.

Because this point has been raised so often, without any facts or evidence to support it, we asked the planning department for their view. Their reply is below (The CRtBO referred to is the Community Right to Build Order process that we are proposing using as you will have seen in the July Update.)

Quote from Wiltshire Planning Department :-

“You can never say that a site will never be developed but the development of a village hall on the blue site will not make it any more likely that the yellow site will be developed for housing. Refer to policies 1 and 2 of the Core Strategy – Cherhill is designated as a ‘small village’ and it is expected that only a limited amount of development would come forward as infill sites; infill is described in the Core Strategy as the filling of a small gap within the village that is only large enough for not more than a few dwellings, generally only one dwelling. The yellow site could not be described as infill development and therefore would not be in accordance with the Core Strategy.

Exceptions to this approach would be considered if they came via the neighbourhood plan process and if you wanted to, you could authorise small scale housing development for community benefit via the CRtBO route. However, if your proposal for the CRtBO is a new village hall only, this would not lead to housing development on adjoining land as it would not be in accordance with the Core Strategy.”

End of quote.

I hope this makes the situation clear. The core strategy would not allow housing development on that site unless we as a community wanted it and as far as I am aware we don’t. It is certainly not part of our plans and will not be.

At the risk of boring people by repeating myself nothing will happen on the site unless this community wants it to. We are going to do our best to help people make their decision based on fact not rumour.

rubyred

Postby rubyred » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm

This all seems quite clear. Why are so there so many negative attitudes and what looks like, distrust of the steering committee? Whilst the current village hall has been a great asset to the community, Cherhill has grown and over time, needs have changed. Most village halls are updated and/or extended in order to cope, but Cherhill village hall cannot do either properly. Let's stop making waves and make a new hall for the benefit of the current and future community. No one enjoys the upheaval of change but a new hall is essential , and we should all back the steering committee in their foresight and diligence.

Hilly

Postby Hilly » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Just back from the open day and have to say, am very impressed with the architects' imaginative and rather beautiful designs. Great to talk to them and have the planning officer answer questions too.

Well done to all involved!

rubyred

Open day- Sat 5th Sept

Postby rubyred » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Well done the Steering Committee for giving the villagers a chance to see potential designs and also for displaying the views of residents who are against a new VH. Quite a balanced event. The three designs on show were very different from each other and opinions were flying around thick and fast from the word go.
It would seem, from talking to some people who are against the project, that the biggest objection/worry, is that it will open the village to a new housing flood.
This cannot happen UNLESS THE VILLAGE ALLOWS IT, that has been made very clear in the Core Strategy, so why is there this worry still?

The VH and Steering Committee are also against housing being built but they are far sighted enough to realise that the present VH is in need of replacement. Having been given the land specifically for this purpose and no other, again I say...what is the problem?

There is no guarantee for anything in life but we mustn't let our fears interfere with something which will benefit all the residents and their families both now and more importantly, in the future.

Simont

Postby Simont » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Thank you so much to everyone that came along to the open day today. When you set out to organise events like this you always wonder if anyone will turn up. Not only did lots of you turn up but we got fantastic feedback from you which will all be used in taking the designs to the next stage. To be honest this has been such a big milestone for us that we haven't planned the immediate next steps in too much detail but we will be meeting in the next few days to go through the feedback forms and use it to shape how we go forward.

To those who are opposed to the project please be assured that we will take your feedback just as seriously as everyone else's and do what we can to alleviate your concerns.

rubyred

Postby rubyred » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:27 pm

There are many discussions going on on Facebook yet nothing here in the forum. Why is that? Is it perhaps because there is more chance of people joining the discussion there? More chance of being recognised? More chance to try and influence the public or family and friends?

What a pity we are airing our washing in public.

Return to “A New Village Hall for Cherhill?”