Is this a consultation?

cherhillres

Is this a consultation?

Postby cherhillres » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:35 pm

The Village Hall steering group keep saying that this is a consultation, an idea where everything is up for discussion. At the public meeting on 5 Feb, we were again told this and that whilst the land on Park Lane had been offered, the Steering Group was open to more suitable alternatives. It was acknowledged by Village Hall Committee members that the site at Park Lane is particularly sensitive given the landscape, and there were significant planning obstacles, an action point from the meeting was for alternative sites to be investigated further.

This week a grant application made by the Village Hall Steering Group was brought to the Calne Area Board meeting. This application related to the sensitive site on the outskirts of the village being offered as a gift for a village hall. The money was to be used for lawyers fees, planning application fees, architect fees etc. This application predates the Public Consultation meeting on 5 Feb.

I already had concerns about the transparency of this process when the location at Park Lane was not included on the questionnaire we received. Now I have further concerns this is not a true consultation, but a PR exercise for something that has already been decided by the Committee members.

leah11

Re: Is this a consultation?

Postby leah11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:43 pm

I agree with what has been said in it's entirety. There has been a lack of transparency and I also have emails with the "30 car parking spaces" from John Cavanagh, if anyone would like to see these?

cherhillres

Postby cherhillres » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:52 pm

John Cavanagh told me today that there will be more than 30 parking spaces needed for any new hall. I just thought I would add this, as there seems some criticism to the use of the term 'a large car park' but I think it's fair to say it will be large and it will need to be lit for health & safety reasons.

johncav

Postby johncav » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Nothing new there......as I said HERE:

I hope we can agree that we need adequate parking, and the way things appear to be going with car ownership that implies as much parking as possible

concerned resident

Postby concerned resident » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:31 pm

cherhillres wrote:John Cavanagh told me today that there will be more than 30 parking spaces needed for any new hall. I just thought I would add this, as there seems some criticism to the use of the term 'a large car park' but I think it's fair to say it will be large and it will need to be lit for health & safety reasons.

Can John Cavanagh please make his mind up as he told people back in November that it would be 30 car parking spaces and then at the meeting he denied saying that until corrected by two people and know he's saying 30 again - would you please confirm how many spaces you are thinking about as anywhere near the figure of 30 would need additional space for turning etc., etc.,

concerned resident

Postby concerned resident » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:36 pm

concerned resident wrote:
cherhillres wrote:John Cavanagh told me today that there will be more than 30 parking spaces needed for any new hall. I just thought I would add this, as there seems some criticism to the use of the term 'a large car park' but I think it's fair to say it will be large and it will need to be lit for health & safety reasons.

Can John Cavanagh please make his mind up as he told people back in November that it would be 30 car parking spaces and then at the meeting he denied saying that until corrected by two people and know he's saying 30 again - would you please confirm how many spaces you are thinking about as anywhere near the figure of 30 would need additional space for turning etc., etc.,

This Village Hall is sounding more and more like a mini Leisure Centre!!!!

You keep on about building a village hall for the future generations how about leaving some green belt for them too.

Simont

Postby Simont » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:18 pm

I realise that being cynical suits your cause but this is a genuine consultation process. As we've said many times this project started 10 years ago but got nowhere because there were no sites available. Now we have an offer of a site it cannot be a surprise that this has given us a catalyst to kick off the project. We are very open though to suggestions for and help with acquiring alternatives and are actively checking out the options that have been mentioned. In the meantime we continue with what we've got.

I can't see why applying for area board funding prior to the meeting is inconsistent with an open process.

I assume the reference to a mini leisure centre refers to the feedback we have had from the village saying that they would like some sports facilities. We have not said there should be sports facilities. It's village residents that have suggested that through the open process we have followed.

Maybe some aspects of the process we are following could have been done differently / better. Sadly we're not perfect. But we are trying to do something for the benefit of the community and once we have some designs the village will have the chance to vote on whether we go ahead. And if we get a positive result there will then be the planning process with the opportunity to object if people wish.

This is a million miles from a stitch up.

cherhillres

Postby cherhillres » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:28 pm

At the public meeting on 5 Feb, Steering Group members apologised for the fact the location was not specified on the questionnaire people received.
The justification for this was that the Ainslie family did not want any attention/limelight following their offer to donate the land.

In an article in the Gazette & Herald last week regarding the community facility proposal, obviously written from a press release given to them by the Steering Group, the Ainslie family are not only named as making the donation, but it also includes a quote from them about how they have asked the land to be used. This seems at odds with wanting to stay away from media/public attention?

This is another inconsistency in what we are told, and then subsequently find out. It makes me think this was a convenient excuse for not being transparent about the new facility location so people could know what they were commenting on in the questionnaire.

Simont

Postby Simont » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:21 pm

I said on the open evening we made a mistake not putting the site on the questionnaire. We realised that soon after sending out the questionnaires. I'm really sorry we're not perfect. It was not intended to mislead. As the rumour mill and misinformation has gathered pace we have had to involve Andrew, which he has been happy for us to do in the circumstances. I'm sure we will have more inconsistencies. This is an evolving situation and we are a group of volunteers trying to do something positive. I'm sure as you pick over every detail you will find more.

johncav

Postby johncav » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:36 pm

That's a sentiment I recognise. I know that I've screwed up, and I will do again - sorry in advance, but I'm doing my best.....

Return to “A New Village Hall for Cherhill?”