The need for a new hall

Simont

The need for a new hall

Postby Simont » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:47 pm

The question keeps coming up "why do we need a new hall?". I suspect most people don't realise how much work goes into trying to schedule all the different activities that go on in the hall but despite that we still have to turn people away. Just in the last week we've been contacted by someone wanting to run a Pilates class on a Friday night. I think there would be a good demand for that but its the night the Scouts are in so we can't have both. We're trying to find another slot but without success so far. Friday night is in any case a difficult night as its popular for one off events such as the Quiz night, the forthcoming auction and many other things. Having a second room would near double our capacity and give us much more flexibility to meet many more needs.

I was also struck the other week by the sight of the Beavers having a camp out, or rather a camp in. Having no outdoor space they have to pitch their tents inside the hall. A few were trying to have BBQs on the veranda. I'm sure they had a good time but it was a somewhat pitiful sight. Having some safe outdoor space would enable them to have a much more rewarding experience.

At the recent open day I was also struck by the comments of as couple of people with mobility problems who often cannot attend hall events without getting a lift as it is so difficult to park within their limited walking distance and then to negotiate the ramp. We've talked in the past about having some dedicated disabled parking spaces but its not really practical with so few spaces available and the likelihood of being blocked in.

There are of course lots of other reasons for needing a new hall but these are a few topical ones.

Simon

cherhillres

Re: The need for a new hall

Postby cherhillres » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:46 pm

This is interesting. Surely a pilates night could take place any evening and not just on a Friday? I'm sure there is Pilates many nights of the week at various close venues within a 15 minute drive if you look for them. Living in a small village surely means you accept that not everything can be provided at the same time? I expect if you had 2 halls, as the plan now looks from the designs presented on 5th Sept, there would still be clashes of events.

Regarding the Beavers, there is the Tommy Croker Playing Field just round the corner from the Village hall. Surely there's space there to have a camp out? The family who own the field behind the playing field have allowed its use on occasion, or any other landowners I'm sure would assist if there was some prior planning involved to arrange it.

As you know, there is a very active local LINK voluntary transport service. I saw their minibus picking up the elderly who had enjoyed the Oldbury Wednesday club at the hall this week. What about some better coordination? I believe we have a Good Neighbourhood Coordinator whose role is to assist those in need with things like this. Lots of villages have flyer buses that can help reduce cars and congestion, making it safer for pedestrians walking round and mean everyone can have a drink at events. If the hall is located to Park Lane, it becomes so much less accessible for all those people living at the end of the village, increasing traffic at least the current hall is central and close to the Church, school and Tommy Croker Field.

Simont

Re: The need for a new hall

Postby Simont » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm

In theory you are right but the teacher who contacted us runs other classes and having recognised an opportunity in Cherhill is looking for a way to fit in with the other classes. Also the hall is booked almost every night of the week (I think there are a couple of Thursday's a month free) so then the question is whether it could be timed to come before or after some other booking. As far as I know we haven't been able to come up with anything so far. Finding a Pilates class with space is not easy. I know from personal experience that they get booked up very quickly and I have struggled to find a class at a time that is convenient.

As far as the Beavers camping out is concerned I believe there are many safety restrictions on what the Beavers can do and where they can do it. I'm not an expert on this but the group leaders that I have talked are all very excited about the increased opportunities that a new hall would offer the youngsters in the village.

I think the point about the bus is a good one and we should investigate that further.

Simon

Return to “A New Village Hall for Cherhill?”