Current village hall

concerned resident

Re: Current village hall

Postby concerned resident » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Simont wrote:At the risk of being repetitive we have always said that once we have some plans (from architects) and a much clearer idea of what we would like to propose building then there will be a public vote. We have no idea when that will be yet but not soon. If the majority are against then the project will not go ahead. If the majority are in favour then it still may not go ahead because we will still have lots of hurdles to get over including raising a lot of money. However we are identifying many sources of funding and are encouraged by the number of other communities around the country who have been able to do this.

We do feel at the moment we have majority support as evidenced by the last formal, public vote on the subject which resulted in 75% voting in favour of a new hall and by the many verbal expressions of support. However none of that will make any difference to the final outcome which will be based as we have said many times on a public vote by our community.

It may well be that, despite a questionnaire going to every household, update pieces in the Parish newsletter and pieces in The Villages magazine that there are still some who are unaware of the project but we will continue to do our best to communicate the project and keep people informed of progress. As John has said the next formal event will be a display of the Architects plans in the village hall on 5th September and we will soon be publicising that. It will probably be an all day event to give as many people as possible the opportunity to attend.

Further to your paragraph above on the 'public vote' which resulted in 75% voting in favour of a new hall - I would like to remind you that it was a 'questionnaire' that was delivered to some people, not all, in the village and according to your 'Questionnaire Feedback' you only received 158 completed forms back. So according to your figures that makes it 75% of 158 which isn't exactly many people is it.

Simont

Postby Simont » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:10 pm

The vote I was referring to was that carried out for the Parish Plan about 6 years ago which I am told (before my time in the village) had a very high response rate. You can see a copy of it here http://www.communityfirst.org.uk/images ... 20Plan.pdf

concerned resident

Postby concerned resident » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Simont wrote:The vote I was referring to was that carried out for the Parish Plan about 6 years ago which I am told (before my time in the village) had a very high response rate. You can see a copy of it here http://www.communityfirst.org.uk/images ... 20Plan.pdf

We lived in the village 6 years ago and again we were not consulted about a new village hall so how many other villagers were left out?

If this 'vote' was carried out six years ago what site would you have used for a new hall as the field in Park Lane was obviously not available then?

Simont

Postby Simont » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:53 pm

This was the village plan and I'm told great efforts were made to involve everyone. It was not just about a new hall.

There was no site in mind in part for the reason you have given. There was simply a desire to have new hall.

leah11

Postby leah11 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 am

Concerned resident write :- We lived in the village 6 years ago and again we were not consulted about a new village hall so how many other villagers were left out?

If this 'vote' was carried out six years ago what site would you have used for a new hall as the field in Park Lane was obviously not available then?

I full endorse this. I feel exactly the same. There seems a total lack of transparency. People should be informed where a Village Hall might go, before being asked to vote. They should also be aware of the further building that will, inevitably, follow, once this land is breached. This has never been done in a satisfactory way.

cherhillres

Postby cherhillres » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm

We have also lived in the village more than 6 years and did not receive a consultation Parish Plan document. However, this document is out of date as a form of needs assessment for the village.

Hilly

Postby Hilly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:11 pm

I've lived in the village for many years - indeed I remember when there was a farm adjacent to Park Lane where there are now houses, so it doesn't necessarily go hand in hand that change is a bad thing, does it? It's just plain scaremongering to keep talking about breeching the land leading to loads of housing and repeating this again and again doesn't make it true - fortunately, most Cherhill-ers are also able to think for themselves rather than be swayed by the drip feeding of negative messages and unfounded rumours/gossip.

I welcome the prospect of a new hall that will benefit the whole village and also potentially be a building of beauty in a natural landscape, giving scope for all villagers to enjoy. I'm a member of quite a few organisations that use the village hall and very much welcome hearing about progress made with this. I'm open minded and willing to WAIT and see what is proposed, rather than be against it at ANY cost and I know many others feel the same too.

Thank you to the team for doing all the investigations and for your endless patience in answering all the questions so far - I for one am very grateful for the amount of your own time you are all spending on helping Cherhill to have a village hall that will be fit for purpose.

leah11

Postby leah11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:18 am

In response to Hilly. I have lived in this village for a long time. I remember how Ainslie' s farm, Bell Farm, was allowed to fall into a dilapidated state and sold for development. He then built a new barn across the road to the North of the A4. Now he is offering a piece of land for a new community facility, on the very plot that was taken out of the Conservation plan in 1998?

Hilly

Postby Hilly » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:27 am

leah11 wrote: Now he is offering a piece of land for a new community facility, on the very plot that was taken out of the Conservation plan in 1998?

I believe the land is been given for for a new village hall - a "community facility" sounds a bit weird!

concerned resident

Postby concerned resident » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Hilly wrote:
leah11 wrote: Now he is offering a piece of land for a new community facility, on the very plot that was taken out of the Conservation plan in 1998?

I believe the land is been given for for a new village hall - a "community facility" sounds a bit weird!

With all the facilities that people are requesting if the new hall goes ahead then it will definitely be a 'COMMUNITY FACILITY' and not a 'VILLAGE HALL' - most village halls are quite content with the facilities they already have

Return to “A New Village Hall for Cherhill?”